Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Weight Loss Secrets, Part I


I’ve recently decided I need to lose weight. Again.

I’m a 6’4 male in his late 30s. When I left high school, my weight topped out at a whopping 185 pounds, soaking wet. At that time, I had a job working in a warehouse. The office manager called me “concentration camp legs”, because, um, well… my legs were really skinny.

Flash forward to age 30ish. I had traded in my $7 and hour job in the warehouse for a comfortable IT manager’s salary… and a desk job. Unfortunately, I still ate like I worked in a warehouse. I topped out at a whopping 245 pounds. And these weren’t 245 ‘good’ pounds of muscle, like Colts TE Dallas Clark (Top Left). No, I looked and felt more like former Colts DT Tony Siragusa (Top Right). (No slight intended against the Goose; he's still one of my all-time fave Colts).

Something needed to be done, and as a result of a series of life crises, I finally got my much-needed motivation to loose weight at age 30ish. Over the next 6 months, I managed to drop down from 245 to 205. As an added bonus, I bulked up with some muscle, and as a result my body fat dropped from “way too much” to “almost nothing” in the process.

Alas, 5 or so years later, I found that I had regained about ½ the weight and lost most of the muscle. Just 3 weeks ago, I weighed myself and found that I had tipped the scales at 225. I could barely get the fasteners closed on my "Interview pants". These pants were a perfect fit only 4 years ago. (Side note - I’m not sure what’s magic about 225. I was content to live at 222, but for some reason 225 was my call to action.) Regardless, over the last 3 weeks I have managed to get back down to 211, with my eventual goal being 205.

Every time my friends and co-workers hear about my weight loss "success", they always want to know: What’s your secret? Well, for the benefit of mankind and as a favor to you, my blog readers, I’m going to share my patented 2-step weight-loss program:

Eat less.

Exercise more.

Seriously. (Does this make it a 3 step program?)

More, infinitely more helpful, details on each of these components will be in later posts, but it really was that simple. Every time I tell someone about my weight-loss experience, they always seem to think “There must be a catch”. They say it could never work for them. But when I ask about their weight-loss efforts, invariably, their failed attempts included either “Eat differently” (a la Atkins), “Eat less”, or “Exercise more”. It was never the combination of Eat Less AND Exercise More.

So now you know my secret. There is no gimmick, just a few simple lifestyle changes.

Like I said, there will be significantly more detail on how I approached these two steps in posts that will follow. So bookmark this site and enjoy the holidays. When you reach your magic '225' number on, oh lets say New Year's Day, come on back. I'll have more information that you, too, can use to reach your target weight.

No comments: